Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By os`kar Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:02 pm
hi all,
this may be a stupid question, but i have to ask :)

i just got an S3000XL sampler and I was thinking about putting the 8 outs into my mpc2000. i know it is possible so it is not the question here.
Question is - what way could I use these 8 outs, i know that i can route any sound from my mpc to go through one of these outs( beside the main mix), this option seems to be a good thing when your mpc has the effects board installed, but what about an mpc without it?
just tell me how could i use it because i dont think i really understand it :)

dont blame me for that question, please

peace
oskar
By digital022 Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:28 am
Well, 8 outs are used to simultaneously multi track. I'm also waiting on a s2000 to arrive so I can put the 8 outs into my mpc 2000xl. Basically, if you have an 8 input interface you can record your tracks all in one shot. Then you would be able to further edit & eq sounds through the daw. I have an effects board on my mpc but that doesn't really have anything to do with tracking out.

I have 2 turntables as well so I need something like a 12 channel mixer that can handle all my inputs before sending them out to the daw...I'm still in the process of getting everything figured out and set up.
By four eyes Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:31 am
the biggest advantage of it would simply be recording more than 1 track at a time. plus you can assign and combine certain sounds that may be on different tracks on your mpc but maybe you want them to be on one track when you record.

you can also use them to record in, in case you are sampling from more than one source during a session and dont wanna fool around with cables more than you should.

plus it come with the digital in/out which i have never actually used, but im sure some people would not mind sampling and recording digital.
By os`kar Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:00 am
Ok, thanks for the reply!

I decided to install the 8 outs into my MPC2000 and I found some obstacles during the assemblying it together.

The thing came out when I put the 8 outs board into the mpc and put screws in it. The data cable(ribbon) was too short to plug it into the mainboard of my MPC and it looked like that:

I was like sh*t what am I going to do now? I dont have a ribbon like that and then I realised that I have this SCSI ribbon which is long enough(too long - not a problem, scissors helped me ;) ) :

So I quickly decided to "mod" it to fit my expectations, after like 30 minutes , splitting the SCSI cable to be wide enough, mounting it into the 8 outs board it looked like this:

Closer look at the 8 outs board:

To "trim" the scsi cable I used scissors only ( it already had the holes in it for the plug side, I had to squeeze it good to fit though)
Plug in the mainboard socket:

And the moment of truth(a bit blurry - sorry for that):

AND BAM!
IT WORKS JUST FINE!

The whole operation took me like an hour, including disassemblying the S3000XL and closing both devices.

I wrote and posted this because someone might be looking for this kind info in the future and find this somehow useful as the 8 outs board coming from the S3000XL has a short data cable mounted to it.

I am not sure if this can or can not be risky for your MPC but I tried and it worked for me!

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Peace.
Oskar
By four eyes Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:48 am
good work man. i cant even remember how i installed mine lol. mine came in its original packing with all the cables needed and instructions.

good job.
By os`kar Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:28 pm
digital022 wrote:Thanx for the info. Btw, is the digital in/out on your 8out card 1/4" or rca?

Digital in/out is RCA, I guess there is no other option, but I`m not exactly sure.

Oskar
By _Stilo_ Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:19 pm
My 8-out board has 1/4" jacks. Some people claim those don't work in an MPC, but I couldn't yet confirm that.

But wow....splicing a SCSI cable to fit the board :shock:

Why not just get a long enough floppy cable? Cause that's the type fitting the board.
By os`kar Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:34 pm
_Stilo_ wrote:But wow....splicing a SCSI cable to fit the board :shock:

Why not just get a long enough floppy cable? Cause that's the type fitting the board.

I know that it is the floppy type ribbon cable, the thing is that I didn`t have any of this kind on me at the time ( yesterday evening) :) so I had to help myself with that SCSI cable, you know, I`m Polish it is in my nature to make things harder :)
Any way, it was really easy ;)

peace

Oskar
By bcitral Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:19 am
A standatd IDE cable is the one without modding. just make sure the sockets go on the right way round.

B
By os`kar Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:40 am
bcitral wrote:A standatd IDE cable is the one without modding. just make sure the sockets go on the right way round.

B

It works fine already with the scsi cable now.

Peace.
Oskar
By peterpiper Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:37 am
_Stilo_ wrote:My 8-out board has 1/4" jacks. Some people claim those don't work in an MPC, but I couldn't yet confirm that.

Same here. 1/4" jacks work without a problem.

peace
By jonestown massacre Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:47 pm
Isnt using the track mute screen just as effective as the 8 outs??
By peterpiper Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:08 pm
jonestown massacre wrote:Isnt using the track mute screen just as effective as the 8 outs??

It depends on what you use it for. If you just want to mute tracks in a live perfomance then track mute is an effective way. But if you want to record to your DAW the 8 outs cant be beat (of course you need an audio interface with more than 2 Inputs to have a benefit).

Another scope is outboard mixing. You can mix up to 10 mono channels (or 5 Stereo channels if you use stereo samples).

peace