New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By daicehawk Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:08 pm
Sorry could not find any threads covering this topic so I am starting this.
The thing is: most MPCs have a 96 PPQ (pulse per quarter note) resolution, which gives 24 pulses for the "swing range" for a 8th note (as the "swing range" is half-note long). But we have 25 values (given 50% is NOswing) in the TC window hence either some one value of 25 swing values is redundant or the swing values from TC window are somehow converted into pulses?
Moreover, when we take 16ths, then 12 pulses are left for swing. Still we have the same 50 - 75 % range in the TC window.
Would love to get some first-hand info on this.
Hey, Mr. Linn, please chime in!
By peterpiper Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:04 pm
daicehawk wrote:Sorry could not find any threads covering this topic so I am starting this.
The thing is: most MPCs have a 96 PPQ (pulse per quarter note) resolution, which gives 24 pulses for the "swing range" for a 8th note (as the "swing range" is half-note long). But we have 25 values (given 50% is NOswing) in the TC window hence either some one value of 25 swing values is redundant or the swing values from TC window are somehow converted into pulses?
Moreover, when we take 16ths, then 12 pulses are left for swing. Still we have the same 50 - 75 % range in the TC window.

Hey, interesting thought. I will try some things to get to know what really happen. .............ok I couldn't wait till evening so I just tried it :)

1/16 settings on swing (every second 16th will be shifted):

reference time is 001.01.24

50% = 001.01.24 (wow surprize ;))
51% = 001.01.24
52% = 001.01.24
53% = 25
54% = 25
55% = 26
56% = 26
57% = 27
58% = 27
59% = 28
60% = 28
61% = 29
62% = 29
63% = 30
64% = 30
65% = 31
66% = 31
67% = 32
68% = 32
69% = 33
70% = 33
71% = 34
72% = 34
73% = 35
74% = 35
75% = 36

but I could have told you before that "never trust any numbers in (AKAI) gear". Oh that remind me on my "project" to post the correct frequencies of the EB16 filter (midband). They display the same numbers but the frequencies are completely different :lol: Dont know what the enineers at AKAI smoked when they did that.

peace
By daicehawk Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:14 pm
peterpiper wrote:
daicehawk wrote:Sorry could not find any threads covering this topic so I am starting this.

Hey, interesting thought. I will try some things to get to know what really happen. .............ok I couldn't wait till evening so I just tried it :)

51% = 001.01.24
52% = 001.01.24
53% = 25
54% = 25
55% = 26
56% = 26
57% = 27
58% = 27
59% = 28
60% = 28
61% = 29
62% = 29
63% = 30
64% = 30
65% = 31
66% = 31
67% = 32
68% = 32
69% = 33
70% = 33
71% = 34
72% = 34
73% = 35
74% = 35
75% = 36

but I could have told you before that "never trust any numbers in (AKAI) gear". Oh that remind me on my "project" to post the correct frequencies of the EB16 filter (midband). They display the same numbers but the frequencies are completely different :lol: Dont know what the enineers at AKAI smoked when they did that.

peace

thanks peterpiper, that actually shows that the values get truncated. I think that test with 8ths will show an earlier swing kick-in in terms of pulse shift starting from like 52% since a 8th note has more pulses to displace those 51-75% values.
BTW what`s your model? seems to be a 2k judging by your signature pics :wink:
when I come home I`ll do the same with my 3k and will post it here so no one fukks no more with "MPC groove template" since the whole idea is just moving even notes later. all inconsistencies on odd notes present in the templates floating in the "internets" lol are just due to the MIDI capture errors (MIDI jitter during MIDI data transfer, or errors occuring while recording unsynced audio from the MPC and the chopping it in the DAW to get the groove template, which results in a inaccurate position of all notes in the template because when two midi devices are not synced, the real tempo despite the same numbers set in the MPC and capturing\chopping DAW will be not 100% identical. It must not be a problem triggering internal sound generators in a DAW by its sequencer - FL Studio has LESS midi jitter triggering its internal sampler,
but... the situation might change drastically as soon as a DAW triggers\or captures from an external MIDI devices. I have seen some threads by some pro audio engineers talikng about using specific models of MIDI interfaces practically approved to work with a particular DAW to get proper MIDI timing.
So, what timing errors you can have when making a template off unsynced audio recording?
MPC jitter (more on newer models I think, 2k I owned and measured had seldom (1 for 2 bars) over 1 msec jitter @120 BPM on just ONE track (God knows what will happen with several track playing at the same time), MPC 3000 has less than 0,05 msec on one track @ 93 BPM. FL Studio had on my Lenovo Y550 zero jitter triggering internal samplers. Ok, I do not mind some MPC 3k jitter, but gimme Note Repeat, Pressure To Velocity and proper MIDI port/channel Input/output in FL Studio! :mrgreen:
Last edited by daicehawk on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By peterpiper Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:34 pm
daicehawk wrote:
peterpiper wrote:

51% = 001.01.24
52% = 001.01.24
53% = 25
54% = 25
55% = 26
56% = 26
57% = 27
58% = 27
59% = 28
60% = 28
61% = 29
62% = 29
63% = 30
64% = 30
65% = 31
66% = 31
67% = 32
68% = 32
69% = 33
70% = 33
71% = 34
72% = 34
73% = 35
74% = 35
75% = 36

peace

thanks peterpiper, that actually shows that the values get truncated. I think that test with 8ths will show an earlier swing kick-in starting from like 52% since a 8th note has more pulses to displace those 51-75% values.
BTW what`s your model? seems to be a 3k judging by your signature pics :wink:

Hope you dont get any trouble with 3k users now ;) No, its the 2000 classic.
But you're not the only one who was wrong. I dont know what I've measured when I tried that EB16 frequencies (last years or so) but I just did it again and everything is fine now. Damn I belived that the frequencies displayed were totaly different from what I measured (I analyzed it with white noise and Adobe Auditions freq.analyze window). :roll: :?: ???
As far as I remember I didn't smoke anything before that test (didn't smoke the last.........5 years or so).

peace

Oh you edited the post ;)
Yes I always wondered about that MPC swing talking. I read about a kind of shifting from MPCs that mostly happen on the first beat of a bar (its a little late) but dont know what causes this behaviour.
I just got a MIDIfile recorded from the SP12 and its interesting that the notes are shifting slightly. They shifting 1-3 ticks later (1 at the beginning of a bar 2-3 at the end of the bar). Maybe thats also caused by something like MIDI jitter on the way to the DAW but I recreate that in stepedit on the MPC and it had a nice feeling. I like it.

peace
Last edited by peterpiper on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By daicehawk Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:53 pm
peterpiper wrote:
Hope you dont get any trouble with 3k users now ;) No, its the 2000 classic.

Yeah, I own a 3k myself and owned a 2kxl so I looked once more at the cursor keys and data wheel and edited the message realizing it was a 2k. I do not care for the embarassed feticheism too, since the result music is all that matters, not the gear. However, knowing the gear and the principles of how they work helps a lot. U see the real measurements showed that a DAW might be as rock-solid triggering internal sound generators as an MPC.
Peace bro :D
By daicehawk Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:57 pm
Yeah, I have just proved, it gets truncated (what else could be anyway). There are some settings that are actually the same for 2nd notes and make the pulse shifts different only for 4th notes in a bar like (I quote only pulse values here within bar-quarters-pulses position value: 00 - 27 - 48 - 63 and 00 - 27 - 48 - 64).
Two more important things:
1 The shift values are the same throughout the sequence (i.e. all pulse value shifting changes within a bar)
2 ODD NOTES DO NOT GET SHIFTED!!!
So my hypothesis about shitty capturing\translating of the MPC swing where ALL notes get shifted like crazy is right. :wink:
By AntonPD Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:35 pm
daicehawk wrote:Yeah, I have just proved, it gets truncated (what else could be anyway). There are some settings that are actually the same for 2nd notes and make the pulse shifts different only for 4th notes in a bar like (I quote only pulse values here within bar-quarters-pulses position value: 00 - 27 - 48 - 63 and 00 - 27 - 48 - 64).
1 The shift values are the same throughout the sequence (i.e. all pulse value shifting changes within a bar)
So my hypothesis about shitty capturing\translating of the MPC swing where ALL notes get shifted like crazy is right. :wink:

just to be sure: when applying swing, firstly everything gets quantized (to the nearest 8th note for example), then the even notes are delayed? or is the quantizing optional.. (i think not.. not sure)
By daicehawk Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:48 pm
AntonPD wrote:
daicehawk wrote:Yeah, I have just proved, it gets truncated (what else could be anyway). There are some settings that are actually the same for 2nd notes and make the pulse shifts different only for 4th notes in a bar like (I quote only pulse values here within bar-quarters-pulses position value: 00 - 27 - 48 - 63 and 00 - 27 - 48 - 64).
So my hypothesis about **** capturing\translating of the MPC swing where ALL notes get shifted like crazy is right. :wink:

just to be sure: when applying swing, firstly everything gets quantized (to the nearest 8th note for example), then the even notes are delayed? or is the quantizing optional.. (i think not.. not sure)

yes.
By daicehawk Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 pm
peterpiper wrote:Yes I always wondered about that MPC swing talking. I read about a kind of shifting from MPCs that mostly happen on the first beat of a bar (its a little late) but dont know what causes this behaviour.
I just got a MIDIfile recorded from the SP12 and its interesting that the notes are shifting slightly. They shifting 1-3 ticks later (1 at the beginning of a bar 2-3 at the end of the bar). Maybe thats also caused by something like MIDI jitter on the way to the DAW but I recreate that in stepedit on the MPC and it had a nice feeling. I like it.

peace

It`s definitely a sum of midi jitter + BPM discrepancies between the source and capture device clocks.
By mr_debauch Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:25 pm
daicehawk wrote:
AntonPD wrote:
So my hypothesis about **** capturing\translating of the MPC swing where ALL notes get shifted like crazy is right. :wink:

yes.

that is why it doesn't work with timing turned off (am i correct?) unless you have the mpc5000 which apparently can swing with the timing turned off...