Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By jazzroom Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:34 pm
Hi to all 3000/60 users :)

Trying to figure the best way to organize/name files on the ZIP drive for a quick access without loading them in the program 1st.... to maximize workflow.

for now i name them like SNR001 ( snare) , KCK001(kick), HH001(hihat), HHO001(open hihat) , BSS001, RDS001 ( Rhodes) , PNO001(piano) , SKR001 ( shaker) , BRK001(Break) SUN001( Sunshine Break chop 1)
etc.....

Just wonder what is your ways of naming samples to keep the files best organised ( snares, kicks, hihats, percussion, bass, keys, pads,horns, vocals , etc)
using max 8 characters for MAC/PC compatibility?
By mr_debauch Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:51 pm
I dont care about mac and pc compatibility, however I name things, the first 6 characters are the type of sound, and the last two characters are numbers... I try and stick to that.

for example:
snare_01
snare_02
kick_ _01
piano_01

catch my drift?
By jazzroom Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:01 pm
Deta!L wrote:I never name my sounds

than, how do you load the sounds that all look like sound0xx into a new project from a disk full of them ....?
By Deta!L Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:18 am
I don't use the same sounds?

I get drum hits off records or off the computer if I'm looking for a certain 808 type kit sound to layer

Samples from records
By peterpiper Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:22 am
I dont have the 60/3000 but since the 950 does also have a character limitation (10 characters)....I use initials of the aritist and song and then S01 for Snare 01. To remember the artist/song from the initials I also write it all down in "Planmaker" (MS Excel alternative). PI=piano, BA=bass, LP=loop (with all kind of instruments in), S=snare, K=kickdrum , H=hihat, VX=vocal sample etc

peace
By jazzroom Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:58 am
peterpiper wrote:I dont have the 60/3000 but since the 950 does also have a character limitation (10 characters)....I use initials of the aritist and song and then S01 for Snare 01. To remember the artist/song from the initials I also write it all down in "Planmaker" (MS Excel alternative). PI=piano, BA=bass, LP=loop (with all kind of instruments in), S=snare, K=kickdrum , H=hihat, VX=vocal sample etc

peace

that looks smart :)
Writing it all down in a spreadcheet in detail
is a good idea- thanks for the tip!
do u also write the record,artist and track number in spreadsheet
to keep tracking the reference?

how do u shorten different percussion sounds,
symbals, breaks, synths, leads?
By peterpiper Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:08 pm
jazzroom wrote:
peterpiper wrote:I dont have the 60/3000 but since the 950 does also have a character limitation (10 characters)....I use initials of the aritist and song and then S01 for Snare 01. To remember the artist/song from the initials I also write it all down in "Planmaker" (MS Excel alternative). PI=piano, BA=bass, LP=loop (with all kind of instruments in), S=snare, K=kickdrum , H=hihat, VX=vocal sample etc

peace

Yes I write down the original song, artist and album but no track numbers (I see no reason for that)
percussion sounds are named BNG or CNG. Its simple, find the 2 or 3 letters that represent the original word (this is a personal thing. some might find CML represent cymbals others might find CYM does it or CYL or just CY)
I often dont use vowels in the name cause my brain sees them (well, not always :)).
Oh BTW I dont use BA for bass. I use BS :)

peace
By jazzroom Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:21 pm
peterpiper wrote:
jazzroom wrote:

peace

Yes I write down the original song, artist and album but no track numbers (I see no reason for that)
percussion sounds are named BNG or CNG. Its simple, find the 2 or 3 letters that represent the original word (this is a personal thing. some might find CML represent cymbals others might find CYM does it or CYL or just CY)
I often dont use vowels in the name cause my brain sees them (well, not always :)).
Oh BTW I dont use BA for bass. I use BS :)

peace

Thanks PeterPiper, i like your approach , gives me hope to get my samples better organized..... i switch between S950 , MPC3000 and Mac OS apps like Recycle and RS-16X for converting WAV's to SND and vica versa.... so the clever filenaming is crucial to my workflow.
By beastineden Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:08 pm
i always give the beat im working on a title. for example, last night i was working on a beat and i called it "bones"... so every sound i used has "bones" attached to it. "bonessnr", "boneskik", "boneshat, "bonesbass" etc. i don't ever load up sounds i've saved. i like to force myself to sample new drums every time. and even if i do sample the same snare without knowing it, theres a good chance i'll pitch and eq it or even envelope it differently. Also, IF i ever want to use a sound i've used on a past beat, i can just refer to the title prefix... so i can say "damn that snare on "bones" is rockin, lemme find that". boom. easy find
By jazzroom Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:02 am
beastineden wrote:i always give the beat im working on a title. for example, last night i was working on a beat and i called it "bones"... so every sound i used has "bones" attached to it. "bonessnr", "boneskik", "boneshat, "bonesbass" etc. i don't ever load up sounds i've saved. i like to force myself to sample new drums every time. and even if i do sample the same snare without knowing it, theres a good chance i'll pitch and eq it or even envelope it differently. Also, IF i ever want to use a sound i've used on a past beat, i can just refer to the title prefix... so i can say "damn that snare on "bones" is rockin, lemme find that". boom. easy find

Happy New Year to you :)

this is a great way to name samples
the only problem is that if I take the samples
out of the Zip disk into Mac OSX than the filensmes
get trunkated like "bones~ " for all files ....

but as long as thru stay inside MPC there is no problem :)
By Ldizzy Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:13 am
my nomenclature goes by simple characters... saves u some time

K
SN
OH
CH

but after a while i started working by projects.. and had 4 zips.. with a beat on each zip.. and had to FINISH them and render them... before i could start a new one.. i never finished any of the four beats before my mpc died :(