Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Plexicube Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:13 pm
I recently posted here about my recent experience modifying my MPC60II with a non-SCSI SD card based floppy drive emulator and figured this sub-forum would be interested.

The other thread has more details, but the long and the short of it is that if you don't have access to the SCSI upgrade, the HxC floppy emulator is a really viable option to replace old failing floppy drives. Its not a whole lot of work to do a fairly slick installation (mine took just over a week, with another week spent getting the disk format figured out) and you end up with more storage than you'd ever possibly be able to fill.

By Clint Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:56 pm
Normally we don't allow doubleposts.

But since you did such a great job on the 60 with the step-by-step explanation it deserves a place in this forum.

Welcome to the forums Plexicube.

Plexicube wrote:I'm *almost* finished with my install into an MPC60II. I have been keeping a record of my endeavors at https://picasaweb.google.com/1027204551 ... pyEmulator for anyone who is interested. There are pictures of the install (somewhat step-by-step) links to all necessary files to get the MPC60 up and running, and a short video showing the emulator functioning. The MKII MPC60 offered a unique opportunity, with all of its unused dashboard space, to have the emulator screen front and center rather than in the drive bay

This leaves me room to keep the floppy, so now I'm looking into a drive selector switch.

By Plexicube Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:31 am
Ah, sorry about the cross-post. I've been a forum lurker for so long, I was really excited to actually have something worthwhile to contribute.

Thanks!
By JVC Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:27 pm
This is a beautiful mod. I don't own or used MPC-60, but I love seeing this kind of mods. Maybe it is more practical to use HxC than messing with SCSI expansion board, since MPC-60 does not use a lot of data anyway. This mod makes me want to get MPC-60 even more... Premo should use this, LOL!

Drive selector switch is a great idea! That way, you can import data from floppies. If you can figure out how to do it, please post here.
By SEED78 Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:20 pm
I guess the only selling point of a CF drive vs floppy emulator is the size of the storage blocks on disk.

CF allows for almost 30meg partitions (up to 780ish of space - on the 3000 at any rate). with floppy emulation what you talking a meg max right? which makes longer samples a problem, although in Mono it might not be so bad.

I'm getting one of those floppy emulators for my s950 pronto!!
By tapedeck Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:26 pm
SEED78 wrote:I guess the only selling point of a CF drive vs floppy emulator is the size of the storage blocks on disk.

in a machine that ONLY has a floppy drive (not talking scsi), a floppy emulator might be the only option.

so another selling point is the fact that it almost universally works, whereas a cf mod depends on a lot of factors coming together. :mrgreen:

if there is an option between a regualr cf and an emulator though, id go regular cf every time.
By Clint Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:44 pm
^^^

What Tapedeck said.

For those without SCSI, the emulators are a godsend.

For those with SCSI, put that baby to work..
By SEED78 Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:02 pm
tapedeck wrote:
SEED78 wrote:I guess the only selling point of a CF drive vs floppy emulator is the size of the storage blocks on disk.

in a machine that ONLY has a floppy drive (not talking scsi), a floppy emulator might be the only option.

so another selling point is the fact that it almost universally works, whereas a cf mod depends on a lot of factors coming together. :mrgreen:

if there is an option between a regualr cf and an emulator though, id go regular cf every time.

I understand bro - thats why I'm saying in my above post that I'm getting one for my s950 - so what point am I missing?

what the score though, what size is each partition with FE??

for machines with scsi - CF drives work if you get them from the right people 8)

some sure are troublesome though - ASR for example, I'm going to be going down the iodata bridge route, not looking forward to the hassle though!

that aside - can't wait to get my s950 tooled up with a HXC!!